Commissioners in Pembina and Walsh and Pembina counties recently awarded funds to cities for community betterment projects as part of the ½ Mill “Self-Help” Program. The self-help program is administered by the Red River Regional Council (RRRC) in Pembina and Walsh counties on behalf of the counties.
The main objective is to promote development within communities of Pembina and Walsh counties. There are three program criteria:
- ½ Mill requests cannot exceed one-half of the total project cost, nor can the request exceed $1,500.
- The county funds must be matched 1:1. Funds will be released on a reimbursement basis with supporting documentation.
- A copy of a resolution or minutes of the meeting when the applicant authorized the project must be included with the application. The city must include in its minutes that it plans to apply for self-help funds for a specific project.
Applications for 2015 funds were accepted through December and were awarded earlier this month in both counties.
Pembina County Commissioners met Tuesday, February 2, to review the requests from nine cities. Commissioners awarded the amount cities requested, with eight cities receiving $1,500; and one city receiving $1,150.
Pembina County cities and projects receiving funds are:
- Cavalier: City beautification project
- Crystal: Replace sidewalks to comply with ADA requirements
- Drayton: Rip rap placed at Hastings Boat Landing on the Red River
- Hamilton: Removal of dead trees and replanting
- Hensel: Purchase of snow removal equipment
- Mountain: Main Street sidewalk replacement
- Neche: Purchase of pole banners
- Pembina: Toward costs associated with warming house at ice skating rink
- Thomas: Continued city beautification project
Walsh County Commissioners met Monday, February 1, to review requests. The commission awarded funds to 11 cities, with nine cities receiving $750 and two cities receiving their requested amounts of $500 and $650.
Walsh County cities and projects receiving funds are:
- Adams: Replace tin roof on serving shelter in Adams City Park
- Edinburg: Work to convert legion building to storage facility for community center
- Fairdale: Maintenance and mowing of the city park and repair of shelter
- Fordville: Fence replacement at Sluke Field baseball diamond
- Forest River: Excavation at site of sewer/lift station
- Grafton: Purchase of shelving units and wall panels at Carnegie Regional Library
- Hoople: City website design and implementation
- Lankin: Purchase of new mower for upkeep of city lots
- Minto: Tree trimming around city
- Park River: Replace Christmas decorations along city streets
- Pisek: Ongoing street repairs
All cities in Pembina and Walsh counties are encouraged to apply for funds to assist with city betterment projects. Applications for 2016 funds will be sent to cities later this year. Anyone with questions is encouraged to contact Stacie Sevigny at the RRRC via phone (701-352-3550) or email (Stacie@redriverrc.com).