January 7, 2015
The Pembina County Commissioners have awarded $1,000 to each of eight cities for community betterment projects.
At their meeting Tuesday, January 6, 2015, Pembina County Commissioners voted unanimously to award funds to each of the cities that completed applications for the 2014 ½ Mill “Self Help” Program, which is administered by the Red River Regional Council.
Cities and projects receiving funds are:
- Bathgate: Culvert installation near the Masonic Lodge and gravel for streets.
- Cavalier: Planting flowers along Main Street, the gazebo on Main, Division Avenue and the planters at the city pool; as well as new flags at the missile monument.
- Crystal: Street repair.
- Hensel: Painting the interior and bathroom upgrade at City Hall; as well as resurfacing the basketball court at Hensel City Park.
- Mountain: Main Street sidewalk replacement.
- Neche: Landscaping project – all rock and plants were cleaned out and replaced in existing flowerbeds, a new flowerbed was created surrounding the flag pole and memorial stone, the granite memorial benches were landscaped, and the tennis court was resurfaced.
- Pembina: Warming house near outdoor ice rink.
- St. Thomas: Continued beautification including landscaping around north entrance welcome sign; fix curbs from water break repair on Heritage Street; and continued clearing and cleaning of vacant lots.
The main objective is to promote development within communities of Pembina County. There are three program criteria:
- ½ Mill requests cannot exceed one-half of the total project cost, nor can the request exceed $1,500.
- The county funds must be matched 1:1. Funds will be released on a reimbursement basis with supporting documentation.
- A copy of a resolution or minutes of the meeting when the applicant authorized the project must be included with the application.
Walsh County has the same program and commissioners will review those applications later this month.
Anyone with questions is encouraged to contact Stacie Sevigny at 701-352-3550 or firstname.lastname@example.org.